Tumlinson Fort, also known as the Tumlinson blockhouse, was on the headwaters of Brushy Creek in what is now Williamson County. It was established by John J. Tumlinson Jr and his company of Texas Rangers.
The event known as the Webster massacre has been reported at varying dates by a variety of sources. The conflict between the Webster party and Comanche Indians occurred sometime between the summer of 1838 and October of 1839, near the headwaters of Brushy Creek in what is now Williamson County.
Shell Stone Rock quarrying began. Buttercup Community / Doddville founded. Stagestop on Austin to Lampasas Stage Line – now at the bottom of the reservoir.
Historic King Log House and MarkerKing Log House
New Hope Baptist Church was founded. Worship services may have been conducted in this area as early as 1847. This church was not formally charted until Oct 22, 1868. That year the organizational meeting was held in the home of James M. & Elizabeth Trammell.
George W. Cluck, primary colonizer of Cedar Park, arrived in 1873 purchasing 329 acres. The Cluck Ranch was then sold to the railroad and renamed "Brueggerhoff" and then "Cedar Park" in 1887. G.W. Cluck recorded deed for 329 1/2 acres on December 3, 1873.
GW & Harriet Cluck homestead built in 1874. They owned 329 acres and built their home on Running Brushy Creek and became the founders of what would eventually become Cedar Park. Their home stood at what is now the NW corner of Buttercup Blvd and US183.
Limestone Quarry Started This quarry was located on the original Cluck property at what is now 1431 and Lakeline Blvd. It was the major employer in Cedar Park in the late 1800’s. A railroad spur was built from the main rail line to the quarry in 1929.
Running Brushy School - this log schoolhouse was established in the 1860s. It was replaced in 1877 by a one-story wood frame building, which remained in operation until 1937. Running Brushy Community School & Church was located on the Cluck property close to what would in time be the park and the railroad foreman’s house. Summer services were conducted under a brush arbor. County elections were also held there.
Narrow Gauge Railroad, Depot & Foreman's House Built. The first railroad to tap the mineral-rich heart of the Hill Country, the Austin & Northwest railroad's narrow-gauge tracks were completed from Austin to Burnet in 1882. The train depot was located across the tracks from the Foreman’s house.
Running Brushy changed its name to Brueggerhoff in 1883 - named after railroad official
Brueggerhoff was renamed as Cedar Park in 1887 by Emmett Cluck. The first post office was built by Emmett Cluck in 1887. We believe that Hattie Cluck moved the Post Office from her homestead to the new location when it was completed.
Emmett Cluck served as the Postmaster of Cedar Park 1892 thru 1929.
Buttercup Post Office Closed
Cedar Yards were started in the early 1900s. The posts were used for fences and were in great demand from all parts of Texas. The posts were graded for size, straightness & length and then stacked and then sold. Many men supported their families cutting posts.
Running Brushy Community School was renamed as Cedar Park Community School.
Whitestone school established, Cedar Park and Blockhouse schools closed. Located at what is now the corner of 1431 and 183. It was approx 3000 sq feet. There were cloak /supply rooms in both of the front corners and a kitchen on the right side.
Indian Midden on the Cluck homestead was excavated between 1927 to 1930 by the University of Texas.
Railroad spur built from mainline to Limestone Rock Quarry.
The Cedar Mill was built to extract cedar oil and to make floor sweep in 1935. Corner of 183 and Cypress Creek Road.
Faubion Grocery was built on old Highway 183 in 1942 and became the 2nd Post Office / Grocery. It was used as the primary Post Office until 1979. Later used as an antique store until it was torn down in the 1980’s.
State dairy and hog farm created.
Conservation Dam built on site of Buttercup.
Hog Farm residents dammed Buttercup Creek to form Twin Lakes and a park in 1961. Current YMCA.
Cedar Park Water Supply Corporation was formed.
Cedar Park Volunteer Fire Department started. Their first fire truck was a very used 1956 Wards LaFrance purchased from Granite Shoals Fire Department when Artie Henry & Don Webster put in a bid for $1313.13. It had been an Air Force Crash truck in one of its former lives.
Residents voted to incorporate the City of Cedar Park on February 24, 1973. It was ratified by Williamson County Judge Luther Chance on February 26, 1973 and became official. May 11 - First Election. The first Mayor was Kenneth Bell.
City offices open in new City Hall at 104 Commercial Parkway.
First Cedar Chopper Festival.
The library was started in the old laundromat on Commercial Parkway. Population 3,474
City takes over Water Corporation.
Wilson-Leonard Brushy Creek Burial Site remains estimated to be between 8-10,000 years old.Leanderthal Lady Discovered. Discovered by the Texas Highway Dept. during the location of the path for the RM 1431 extension from Cedar Park to I-35. Remains are over 10,000 years old and estimated to be one of the most complete and oldest examples of a human skeleton in North America.
1431 Completed to IH-35. This new road gave Cedar Park direct access to IH-35 and was a big contributor to increased growth in the area and allowed easier access to the north side of Lake Travis and Lago Vista. City voters approve Home Rule Charter.
City Hall Relocates from Commercial Parkway to former bank building at 600 North Bell Boulevard. Population 5,161
Austin Steam Train Association debuts the first Hill Country Flyer train ride on July 25.
Cedar Park acquires expanded ETJ Austin on January 11.
City Voters Approve First General Revenue Bond Issue to fund Roads, Streets and Drainage, Justice Building, Fire Station and Training Facility, improvements to the City's Public Library, and improvements to Milburn Park. Tornado hits the city, major damage sustained.
City adopts first comprehensive plan. Cedar Park citizens vote to withdraw from Capital Metro and eliminate 1 cent local Sales Tax.
Cedar Park voters approve reallocation of Capital Metro transportation sales tax of 1 cent for economic development and community development.
City of Cedar Park voters approve second General Revenue Bond Issue to fund City Streets, Parks and related projects, Fire Fighting Facilities, Municipal Facilities, and Police/Courts Building. Fire Department are now paid and full-time. Lakeline Boulevard Opened.
VA Clinic Opened.
Voters approve use of Economic Development Sales Tax to fund Cedar Park Center (now H-E-B Center at Cedar Park).
183A Toll road Opened. 1890 Ranch, the first major shopping center in Cedar Park, opens Oct. 2007. Cedar Park Regional Medical Center Opened. Population 45,306
In 2009 the Cedar Park Center (now named H-E-B Center) officially opens with George Strait as featured performer.
City Offices relocate to the City Hall Complex at 450 Cypress Creek Road. Estimated Population 56,567
City of Cedar Park voters approve a General Revenue Bond issue to fund Public Safety, Transportation (streets), Parks, Library and Highway Realignment (Phase 1 of Bell Blvd. Redevelopment Project). Bell Boulevard Redevelopment Master Plan created.