Historical Markers

Ready to explore? Check out the list below for discovering Cedar Park’s historic spots.

cedar park historical marker

The pioneers who settled in Williamson County were rugged, courageous, and enterprising, as was Harriet (Hattie) Standefer’s family, who made the perilous trek from Alabama. Later Hattie married George W. Cluck, an aspiring cattle baron. Interestingly, the Clucks were some of the first to ride the famous Chisholm Trail. Hattie Standefer Cluck gained notoriety after riding up the Chisholm trail while pregnant. Hattie was a strong woman, she even crossed the Red River on horseback in a flood. While raising a family, the Clucks operated many businesses and, as such, were the primary colonizers of what is now Cedar Park. In the end, the Clucks forged a new community that embodies their same ambitious spirit and generosity.

This Texas Historical Commission marker is located in front of the Cedar Park Public Library at 550 Discovery Blvd.

Cedar park cemetery

Founded in 1901, after the death of an infant grandson, the Clucks set aside over 7 acres of land to be used as a family cemetery. Many Cluck family members are buried there, along with neighbors and friends. Later, the cemetery was divided by 183, resulting in a half acre lying east of the highway (now occupied by the Sonic). The cemetery on the opposite side holds the Clucks and other founding family members, including McRae, Jackson, and Stewart. Located at West Park St. and Bell Blvd., the back portion of the cemetery features George and Harriet Cluck headstones and other Cluck relatives.

This Texas Historical Commission marker is located at the Cedar Park Cemetery at 117 S. Bell Blvd.

New Hope Baptist Church and Cemetery

Although the church was not formally chartered until 1868, services were likely held as early as 1848. From 1871 to 1919, the church was also used as a school. Originally located on the head waters of Blockhouse Creek, New Hope Baptist Church was rebuilt several times and now stands at the intersection of US 183 and New Hope Road. The cemetery was established in 1869 and holds more than 70 unmarked graves, yet many headstones mark the names of well-known colonizers who shaped the community.

This Texas Historical Commission marker is located at New Hope First Baptist Church and Cemetery  at 200 W. New Hope Rd.

Wilson-Leonard Brushy Creek Burial Site

Wilson-Leonard Brushy Creek Burial Site

This is the amazing discovery site of “LeAnn, the Leanderthal Lady.” In 1982, during the expansion of FM1431, archaeologists discovered a female skeleton in an apparent family burial ground. The woman was lying in a fetal position, and buried with her were a grinding stone and a shark’s tooth. Most astonishing is she dates back to the Pleistocene Period, around 10,500 years ago! It is one of the most remarkable Paleo-American sites yet discovered. Today her remains are at the J.J. Pickle Balcones Research Center of the University of Texas but are not yet on view. The marker is located in the northeast side of Cedar Park.

Read more about the archaeology of the Wilson-Leonard site on Texas Beyond History, the virtual museum of the Texas Archaeological Research Laboratory, The University of Texas at Austin. Take a closer look.

This Texas Historical Commission marker is located on FM1431 near CR178, on the right when traveling East.

Cypress Creek School

Cypress Creek School

Neighbors living in a scattered settlements along Cypress Creek joined together to establish a school for their children in the 1860s. A small log schoolhouse was built on a hilltop above the creek. By 1877 the students had outgrown the first school, and a new one-story wood frame building was erected on the same site. Students attending the one-room school were taught by one teacher. The school continued in operation until 1937. In 1987, a new Cypress school was built here by the Leander Independent School District.

This Texas Historical Commission marker is located at 2900 El Salido Pkwy.

Stage Coach Marker

Stage Coach Marker

Minos M. Long owned and operated the Austin to Lampasas Stage Line from 1872 to 1877. Along the line were stage stops for replacing horse teams, which were located at Running Brushy, Liberty Hill, and Burnet. After 1877, the stage line passed through Round Rock. Chiseled with “A.17.M”, the limestone marker signals the 17-mile distance from 1880’s downtown Austin to Cedar Park.

This City marker is located next to a driveway opening at Middle Brook Apartments at 335 Cypress Creek Road.

Minnick Family Cemetery

Minnick Family Cemetery

Established in 1876, the Minnick Family Cemetery has relatives of the Rev. John L. Minnick and his wife Louisa buried there. Located off Settlement Blvd. on Turnbow Trail in the Quest Subdivision, the cemetery contains many Minnick family members and relatives. Graves date from mid-1800s.

This City marker is located at 614 Turnbow Trail

Heritage Oak Tree

This 400-year-old majestic live oak tree is decorated with over 30,000 lights each year in December to kick off the holiday season. It stands a lofty 57 feet tall with a spread of 80 feet.

This City Marker is located on 875 Quest Parkway

John Champion Cemetery

John Champion Cemetery

In 1850 at the age of 33, John Champion moved from South Carolina and lived in the home of James and Caroline Standefer on Brushy Creek. That year he married their daughter, Naomi Jane, and had seven children. The first marked burial in this cemetery is that of Naomi. He later married Mary Eliza Hotchkiss and fathered 12 more children. In 1909 at the age of 92, John was buried here, as were many family members in several unmarked graves. Children Calvin Whitfield and Corelia Josephene Champion reside in marked graves. In unmarked graves, lie Pauline Brown Champion, Baby Champion, and Mr. and Mrs. Handley, who were employees of John Champion. Located one mile east of Parmer Lane on Brushy Creek Road, at the hike-and-bike trail.

This Texas Historical Commission marker is located at 3892-3930 Brushy Creek Rd (Access inside Champion Park, 900 ft to left by flagpole off Brushy Creek Regional Trail)

Austin and NorthWestern Railroad

The tracks we use are part of what was the Llano subdivision of the Austin division of the Southern Pacific railroad. The section from Giddings to Austin was built by the Houston & Texas Central Railroad and completed in 1871. This was the first railroad into Austin. The capital city’s first train arrived via the H&TC on Christmas Day, 1871.

In a separate business enterprise, the line west of Austin to Llano was chartered on April 20, 1881, as the Austin & Northwestern Railroad. The intent of the A&NW was to link Austin with the Texas & Pacific line at Abilene, however, no track was ever laid west of Llano. The railroad was originally built as a narrow gauge line, with 3 feet between the rails instead of the standard 4 feet – 8.5 inches. The line reached Burnet in 1882. It was extended to Granite Mountain in 1885 and began hauling pink granite to Austin for the Texas Capitol building.

This City marker is located at 401 E. Whitestone Blvd (at the Austin Steam Train Association offices)

Granite for the State Capitol

Granite for the State Capitol

In the 1880’s, the arrival of the railroad helped develop western Williamson county and contributed to the construction of a new state capitol. When quarried limestone proved deficient for the new statehouse, contractors chose granite from Burnet county outcroppings. The Austin and Northwestern Railroad, which ran through this area and established Brueggerhoff (Cedar Park) and Leander, extended to the granite mountain quarry site in 1885. More than 4,000 flatcars passed through here in 1886-1887, carrying the large blocks of pink granite to Austin. Three dozen blocks that tumbled off the tracks were left in the creek bed, since the state obtained its building stone free of charge. The Texas State Capitol was completed in 1888.

This Texas Historical Commission marker is located at 2310 Brushy Creek Rd (access inside Brushy Creek Sports Park, past railroad trestle bridge off Brushy Creek Regional Trail)

Emmett Cluck Homesite and Site of Railroad Foreman’s House

Narrow Gauge Railroad, Depot & Foreman's House

In 1887, a store was built for or by Emmett Cluck on the east side of the railroad. He then built his home behind his store. Described as “ornate and beautiful,” an iron fence that had originally stood around the Texas State Capitol and was moved to Emmett’s yard. The Clucks had also sold land next to Emmett’s home to the railroad, but stipulated that a portion be made into a “park.” Fully landscaped, the park provided benches along the walking paths. No two beds were alike, and colored pebbles were used in raised beds rather than flowers and shrubs. The land was also the location of a store, post office, gas station, “The Park,” and combination school/church.

No Marker – this site is situated at the railroad and Brushy Creek Road. 

McRae Cemetery

The McRaes were a farming family and were some of the original founders of the nearby town of Buttercup. Some McRaes are buried in this family cemetery, which was part of the McRae farm. The cemetery contains one marker for Monroe McRae. Others interred at this cemetery include Monroe’s father, Murdock McRae and Monroe’s wife, Eva Dodd (est. 1919)

No Marker – this site is located at 1901 Sunchase Blvd at Cypress Creek Rd. (In SE corner of Elizabeth M. Milburn Memorial Park)